Barry R. Eichen
Shareholder - Personal Injury,
Products Liability, Medical Malpractice
& Wrongful Death Lawyer
Barry R. Eichen
Shareholder-Personal Injury, Products Liability,
Medical Malpractice & Wrongful Death Lawyer
South Edison native Barry R. Eichen is a Shareholder with Eichen Crutchlow Zaslow, LLP, and one of New Jersey’s most seasoned and well-respected trial lawyers. Energetic and hands-on, Mr. Eichen has built a thriving practice that is esteemed by clients, peers, and the judiciary throughout the state of New Jersey. His areas of practice include personal injury, products liability, Federal Employee Liability Act cases (FELA), medical malpractice, and other complex litigation matters. Mr. Eichen has also served on the Board of Governors for ATLA-NJ and has taught seminars at the request of ATLA.
He has also earned a national reputation for handling complex, high-profile mass-tort litigation, including the Phen-Fen diet drug case, and consumer fraud class action claims. Mr. Eichen has also sat as a member of the Plaintiff’s Steering Committee for Phen-Fen Litigation, Rezulin Drug Litigation, Vytorin/Zetia Drug Litigation, as well as Schering-Plough’s Intron A Drug Litigation. He was also part of the team that successfully litigated the class action claim against LYMErix a vaccine developed to prevent Lyme disease.
He has served as a prosecutor for various townships and has tried over 100 complex cases.
In August of 2005, Mr. Eichen obtained a $19.2 million verdict on behalf of a railroad worker who was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis as a result of various railroads’ failure to provide adequate respiratory protection. This was one of the largest FELA verdicts in the Country for pulmonary fibrosis.
In April of 2007, Mr. Eichen obtained a verdict against Ford Motor Company for a defective throttle body which resulted in a brachial plexus injury to the right arm of the plaintiff. After a 4 week trial, the jury awarded plaintiff $10,626,479.89.
Mr. Eichen represented the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 2010, wherein he obtained a $51 Million verdict against Johnson & Johnson for overcharging Medicaid recipients. This verdict led to a recovery of hundreds of millions of dollars for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
In a recent trial against the City Of Newark, Mr. Eichen was able to obtain a verdict in the amount of three million dollars. The case involved the failure of the City of Newark to repair a pothole that was approximately three feet wide and four feet long. The jury had determined that this was a dangerous condition that the city knew or should have known existed for approximately one year, although there were complaints that the city had neglected to repair said dangerous conditions for a period of one year. While this matter was reversed due to a procedural technicality, the case was settled prior to a retrial. That same year, he served as lead counsel in a consumer fraud class action against OSRAM Sylvania, Inc. He secured a $30 million settlement on behalf of his clients.
Mr. Eichen was a part of the consumer privacy lawsuit against Facebook (now Meta Platforms Inc.) which recently settled for $90 million. He served on the science committee, along with Billy Murphy of Baltimore’s Murphy Falcone.
In 2018, Mr. Eichen was awarded the Top 2018 Settlement by New Jersey Law Journal on behalf of a plumbing/HVAC foreman who fell through a hole and sustained serious injuries.
In recent years, Mr. Eichen has been secured millions of dollars in trucking, traffic, and construction litigation cases, many whose terms are confidential in order to protect his clients.
Mr. Eichen was featured in a televised forum “A Jersey Matters Town Hall: The Heroin Crisis,” This one-of-a-kind statewide town hall took place at Monmouth University on March 16th, 2017. WJLP-TV (Me-TV) in association with the Asbury Park Press sponsored the program to discuss the real problem of heroin and opiate addictions and deaths in New Jersey. Click here to watch the program. View segments from the Town Hall forum here.
In 2017, Mr. Eichen was featured on the cover of Best Lawyers magazine. Read the article featuring Mr. Eichen: Article.
About Barry R. Eichen
Barry Eichen grew up in the middle class neighborhood of South Edison. His father was a Navy veteran and the manager at an auto parts store, and his mother worked part-time while raising five children. After graduating from Edison High School, Mr. Eichen worked at night while attending college to help pay for his education. After graduating from law school, Mr. Eichen opened his own law practice in 1987.
When he is not working on his next case, Mr. Eichen spends time with his wife and their two children.
Areas of Practice
- Products Liability
- Federal Employee Liability Act cases (FELA)
- Medical Malpractice
- Employment Discrimination
- Consumer Fraud Class Actions
- Litigation Matters
- 90% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Civil Trial Attorney, Supreme Court of New Jersey
- New Jersey, 1986
- Pennsylvania, 1986
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1986
- Florida, 2016
- Seton Hall University School of Law, Newark, New Jersey - 1986
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyers in America, Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions – Plaintiffs and Medical Malpractice Law – Plaintiffs, 2013 – present
- Lawyer of the Year, Mass Tort Litigation/Class Action – Plaintiffs, Woodbridge, 2016 and 2021
- BV Distinguished by Martindale-Hubbell
- Nation’s Top One Percent by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel
- Member, The Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Member, New Jersey Super Lawyers
- Top 10 Personal Injury Attorney, Best of the Best Attorneys
- #1 Settlement in New Jersey Law Journal's Top Verdicts & Settlements 2018
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Association For Justice, Board of Governors
Press and Awards
- $51M Verdict for Price Manipulation
- New Jersey Personal Injury Lawyers Obtain $30 million settlement against Sylvania
- $27M Verdict for Price Manipulation
- $9,600,000 Recovery in Obstetrical Malpractice Case Concerning a Monochorionic Pregnancy
- $4.9M Settlement for Mother of Passenger Killed in Auto Accident
- $4,850,000 Settlement for Obstetrical Malpractice Resulting in Injuries During Birth
- $5,500,000 Truck Accident- Award obtained for a client injured in a collision with a commercial truck.
- $2,125,000 Car Accident- Award obtained for a client who suffered injuries in a car accident.
- $1,250,000 Verdict for Car Accident- Secured $1.25m for a client who suffered injuries in a car accident. Babcock v. Clearfield Motors, Inc.
- $1,000,000 Legal Malpractice- Award for a client who suffered losses because of an act of legal malpractice.