Toms River Medical Malpractice Lawyers
Fighting for Ocean County residents injured by medical negligence
When you visit a surgeon, doctor, or other medical professional, your goal is to get better (or stay healthy). However, when a routine trip to the doctor results in you suffering an injury, things become complicated and confusing. You may rightly feel like your medical professional betrayed your doctor-patient relationship.
Medical malpractice occurs when your doctor or other medical provider deviates from the accepted normal standard of care, and you or your loved suffer injury or harm as a result. Your Toms River doctor or surgeon, by law, owes you certain responsibilities when providing your health care. If they act negligently while providing that care – or fail to provide that care – they may be liable for your damages and losses.
Hospitals and medical centers you may be familiar with around Ocean County and Toms River include:
- Community Medical Center, Toms River
- Hackensack Meridian Health Ocean Medical Center, Lakewood
- HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital, Toms River
- Barnabas Health Heart Centers, Toms River
- Children’s Specialized Hospital Toms River Lakehurst, Toms River
- Additionally, here is the State Board of Medical Examiners Complaint Form (your malpractice attorney can explain this further)
Typically, the majority of health care providers and professionals are safe. However, there are occasions where negligence occurs and mistakes happen. And when they do, innocent people’s health and lives are changed forever.
This is why the Toms River medical malpractice attorneys at Eichen Crutchlow Zaslow, LLP dedicate themselves to fighting for victims of medical negligence. We work tenaciously and strategically to hold health care professionals accountable when their recklessness injures you, your child, or your loved ones.
What are some common malpractice claims in Ocean County?
With their decades of combined experience, our lawyers take pride in their extensive record of success with medical malpractice cases, having obtained millions of dollars in damages for their clients. Following are some of the more typical types of cases we see in our practice:
- Misdiagnosis/failure to diagnose. A missed diagnosis or wrong diagnosis by a doctor can be a result of not spending enough time with a patient, misreading a lab report, or other errors. Diagnostic mistakes can cause improper treatment, delays in treatment, or wrongful death.
- Birth injuries. Birth injuries can happen to both mother and child during pregnancy and childbirth due to medical negligence. Any number of injuries that occur during childbirth can lead to complications like traumatic brain injury, spinal injury, cerebral palsy, Erb’s palsy or maternal hemorrhage.
- Prescription and medication errors. Medication and prescription mistakes occur when a patient is administered the wrong medicine, the wrong dosage, or defective medication. Accountability for a medication error can go anywhere from a nurse all the way back to the pharmaceutical corporation.
- Anesthesia errors. Anesthesia can cause injury or death if administered incorrectly or without proper knowledge of the patient’s medical history. Anesthesiologists must be properly trained in their field and aware of a patient’s condition at all times while he or she is under sedation.
- Surgical errors. Surgical mistakes can happen as a result of human error, like operating on the wrong surgery site, or leaving a foreign object inside the body. Or, a patient could develop a life-threatening infection from a surgeon or doctor using instruments that haven’t been properly sanitized.
Our attorneys are happy to schedule a no-cost consultation to discuss your malpractice case at your convenience.
Medical malpractice liability in New Jersey
When you are a victim of medical negligence in Toms River, liability isn’t limited only to physicians. Any health care professional (or entity) can commit medical malpractice. This includes:
- Nurse practitioners
- Walk-in medical clinics
Our attorneys have years of experience fighting for the rights of victims. When we fight for you, we dedicate our resources to pinpointing who is accountable and liable for your injuries. Find out more about our multi-million-dollar record of success.
How can a Toms River medical malpractice lawyer help?
Medical malpractice cases are complicated and require a thorough and extensive knowledge of malpractice law, as well as the ability to handle a great deal of meetings and paperwork. Our experienced and knowledgeable attorneys are extremely familiar with this process.
The New Jersey statute of limitations allows only two years from the date the malpractice action occurred, or was discovered, to file a claim. If you believed you’ve suffered an injury from medical negligence, talk to an attorney as soon as possible before time runs out. Your lawyer can explain the statute of limitations to you further.
The legal team at Eichen Crutchlow Zaslow dedicates themselves to your case, taking care of crucial issues like:
- Evaluation and guidance by attorneys who specialize in malpractice
- Detailed and thorough investigation of the situation to determine liable parties
- Arranging expert testimony and witnesses
- Negotiating and handle insurance companies on your behalf
- Advocating for you during negotiations and in the courtroom
Even the smallest medical mistake can cause a devastating injury that can alter the trajectory of your life forever. If you or a member of your family were harmed due to the negligence of a medical professional, talk to us. We will work to our utmost to get you the financial compensation you deserve for your injuries.
What kinds of damages can I collect in a New Jersey malpractice case?
Successful medical malpractice claims can recover three categories of damages – economic, non-economic, and punitive.
- Economic damages. These compensate the victim for tangible financial losses, including medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses (physical therapy, treatments, accessibility solutions).
- Non-economic damages. These are for more intangible damages, like emotional distress, pain and suffering, or loss of enjoyment of life.
- Punitive damages. There are times when a party’s negligence was so reckless or callous, the court may also award punitive damages. Punitive damages are designed to punish the guilty party and deter future negligent conduct. New Jersey puts a cap on punitive damages – they cannot exceed five times compensatory damages or $350,000 (whichever is more).
Types of Cases We Handle
Our Toms River attorneys handle a variety of cases, including:
|Personal Injury||Auto Accidents|
|Medical Malpractice||All Practice Areas|
Talk to a skilled Toms River medical malpractice lawyer
The Ocean County attorneys at Eichen Crutchlow Zaslow, LLP have been fighting against medical malpractice for decades. We know how to take negligent hospitals and doctors to task and protect your rights. Let us go to work for you. Call our office for a consultation at 732-777-0100 or fill out our contact form.
Toms River, NJ Office
563 Lakehurst Road
Toms River NJ 08755